Archive for July, 2011
Been very busy lately and I haven’t gotten to blog much so I’m trying to play catch up. If you’ve read any of my earlier blog posts, you know about my WP 3 Multisite Experiment
One of the things that bugged me when I enabled WP 3 multisite was that the very cool Google XML Sitemap plugin did not work after the this. It gave a warning about Google XML Sitemaps will be disabled when running WP 3.0 in multi site mode. XML Sitemaps basically let you tell the search engines in a direct way about pages and posts you would like them to consider for indexing in their search engines. They are considered a best practice in SEO.
So I did some research, tried one called XML Sitemap & Google News Sitemap Feeds - here’s my quick findings:
1) This worked in WP 3+ mulitsite mode
2) The site map it produced, however, included some things I didn’t want included and I didn’t see a way to adjust this
3) You could always try it and see if you’re fine with the sitemap it produces, and if so, go with it
I needed something more configurable. So I looked some more and found one called Google XML Sitemaps with Multisite support
This turned out to do what I was looking for, and in fact, it really is just a quick modification of Arne’s excellent Google XML Sitemap plugin.
Also, I also found after that that Arne has a beta going on for a multisite supported version of his Google XML Sitemap plugin too, so keep an eye out for that as well.
Since the Google +1 Button‘s general release on the Google Search results earlier this year, and then in early June when Google made it available for Websites to add their own Google +1 button, I’ve wondered about what actual impacts would be on search results.
Well, I’ve been making some observations and plan to share some soon. I always like to see some actual data and observations instead of just people’s guesses. More to come. I’d love to hear about other data and observations on this topic as well.